Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy :)

Wow!!! A lot has happened this week in your lives. First off, have the best parents in the world and I will be thinking about you both this Sunday.
 
Dad I am so thankful for your calming influence, your wisdom, and your efforts to always be improving. You and mom are always setting goals and moving forward and I love that.
 
Mom I just love you and am thankful for all that you have taught me. I have learned soooo much from you both and now I can see that it blesses me to be able to do the work of the Lord. Thank you mom for telling me that I am right where I should be. It´s always a good reminder.
 
This week was the week of finding those who are unmarried. I wonder if the Lord is trying to teach me something....like the importance of marriage. All I know is that I do not think I have ever encouraged people to get married like we do now. Because it is part of keeping the commandments, we say REPENT, GET MARRIED, and BE BAPTIZED. haha. As I received an english copy of the Ensign this last week, I read a few talks that made me realize that we are preaching what the prophets are teaching as well. Most notably, President Monson´s talk from Priesthood Session and Elder Scott´s beautiful talk of the blessings of eternal marriage. I loved reading these and really should make copies for some converts and investigators. All I know is that I am in agreeance. Press forward in faith and get married! Easy to say for me because I do not need to follow this counsel for now. :)
 
I thought I would tell of a few random happenings this week in Ecuador:
 
-As we walked down the street, I stopped to admire the roosters and hens that were outside of a house. We realized the owners were also outside and began to talk to them. To our horror, Umberto and Maria were cutting off the red gobble and the crown of the roosters. We watched the somewhat bloody scene, but I was almost in tears. The only reason we waited and watched was because they said we could share our message with them after. This we did, Umberto accepted a baptism date (but SURPRISE---although living together for 23 years, they are not married). Any ways, it was an exciting afternoon to say the least.
 
-The other day we contacted a man and his child. As we talked, he asked if we were spies. I did not understand the word for spies, so I said Si si! Thankfully my companion quickly explained that no, we are missionaries looking for those who are searching the truth. And after she told me he had asked if we were spies. I wonder how many miscommunications I have had like this without even knowing....
 
I love this work of the Lord. My favorite part is that we get to read and use the scriptures so much. The scriptures truly come alive as we use and apply them. I love the Book of Mormon and know it is true. I know that every person who reads it with the desire to know of the truthfulness, will likewise gain this surety and testimony. The Book of Mormon combined with the Spirit of God are powerful tools. I invite all to read it and to pray and ask if it was written by prophets of God. Read it everyday and be uplifted by the words of our loving Heavenly Father.
 
WOOO HOO For Sound to Narrows. That´s awesome. Yes running is very different from walking, but there is great pleasure in running! Start training for next year and we can all run it together (ahh, me included).
Ok I must go but I love each one of you. Thank you for your love and support.
 
Love,
Hermana Garlock
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment