Monday, June 27, 2011

CPR and Pigeons

Mi familia! Toda de mi familia!
 
The weather here is becoming a bit more bearable. :) Still humid as ever but there are moments when the sun hides and the temperature drops a bit. But whatever the weather is, the work goes on!
 
Our Pday this week was changed to Tuesday--today because we did a temple session and had a training with the new missionaries! Hermana Lara has one transfer, so we were part of the group that got to go to the temple bright and early this morning. I absolutely love love love this temple. It is beatimous. I wish I could adequately describe the peace and the tranquility that is found in and outside of this temple. It is a special place! The training was about our purpose as missionaries---baptize! President Montalti often says that if we came here just to serve and strengthen the church, that we do not need to be missionaries to do that. We can do this in our home wards and stakes. That's the truth. The only time of my life when I will be teaching and inviting people to be baptized is NOW. How awesome is that.
 
So we talked about how to set and reach goals....kind of like a Stephen Covey training, mom haha. We talked about how to invite people to be baptized---that they must be responsible to overcome their challenges. We should not pay for people to get married, buy their Sunday clothes, etc....These are children of God with divine potential and they can receive personal revelation- Revelation that this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ and how they can repent and change in order to be baptized. I sure do love training from President Montalti. He is a man called of God and holds the keys for this work. He received these keys from an apostle of God, whose keys come from Jesus Christ. Wow. What a marvelous opportunity this is to learn from a true servant of Jesus Christ.
 
I am finding great joy in the teachings of converts. It is so neat to see their progress. At times it is also really sad because they fall into old habits and temptations and I just want to help them sooo bad. We do what we can and then hope that members of the ward will continue to fellowship and love! I will continue to pray for these converts and hope that in time they will truly be able to leave their addictions behind. The only way we find relief from mistakes and sin is through the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know Christ heals us. His power to save us is limitless. Regardless of our past, circumstances, and problems, He knows how to help us overcome these and change. The changes can be permanent, but we must continually exercise our agency to follow Jesus Christ.
 
Funny story about Hector Vargas-- he was baptized in the end of April I believe. Hector has the biggest heart. He is about 82 years old and is like our grandpa here! He buys us juice, banana chips, etc when we pass by his house (as we do practically every day). I try to tell him no, but he insists! So we accept. :) Yesterday, we passed by in the night to talk to him about the work of the temple so that he can prepare the name of his deceased wife, who he still loves deeply. Well, we got to his house and he was so so so excited. He told us that just a few hours earlier a pigeon was flying around his house, got electrocuted, and fell down seemingly dead. His neighbor, Jeanette, ran and got Hector because she knows how much Hector l o v e s these pigeons. You would not believe what Hector did....He gave the bird mouth to mouth and did CPR. Seriously. And it saved the pigeon´s life! The bird was up and flying again before night fell. A true miracle. This week I also was shocked in my hand by an electric wire. It was not a big deal or anything--just one of those little shocks but when Hector told me this story, I could not help but think that if I ever seriously needed CPR, I would hope Hector would be near to save me. If he can save a paloma, I believe he could also save me.
 
 I was SUPER excited to see the rainbow chip frosting (the ligit stuff) and cakemix. HOLY COW! Thank YOU so much for sending that. This is like a little taste of heaven.
 
Hermana Lara and I are getting along really well also. She likes to talk a lot in the streets and joke around. She is also serious but is always up for a good laugh. We laugh a lot together about random things....our senses of humor are different, but this just gives us more reason to laugh. Hermana Lara is learning English so we try to practice English as well. I still have a lot to improve with Spanish. I understand people a lot better now but at times, they do not understand me! This is the most frustrating-- when I think I just explained something really, really well, and then I ask a question and the person says, NO entiendo. AHHHHHHH great. Restart. Square one. Word by word. The most basics...slowly....and then usually they understand. This is why it is best to use scriptures and let the investigator be taught through the Spirit. haha. :)
 
Any ways, I talk about Mom and Dad a lot to share my experiences-- about how the gospel has blessing your marriage and our family and my life. People are always impressed when I tell them my grandparents are also members. Nearly all of the members in our ward here are converts, or their parents were converts. I am thankful for the gospel and for the unity it brings into our family. I love you each and pray for your happiness.
 
Love,
Hermana Garlock

1 comment: