Tuesday, April 5, 2011

General Conference

Bonjour! Ooops... Hola!
I do not remember much more french than that, but I expect lessons from my brother and sister in the future. Our FHE activities can be language focused. What do you think about that?!

Conference was wonderful! I loved the talk that mentioned making Celestial Traditions. What a rich thought. As I think about all the times Dad or Mom or whoever called us for family prayer and scriptures, I am filled with gratitude. This along with family dinners, FHE, and family planning are truly celestial moments in our
home. I listened to all but Sunday afternoon Conference in English. How did I accomplish this? Well, Luiz, our recent convert who is deaf, watched Conference in a classroom with subtitles. So, in an effort so that he would not be alone, Hermana Falls and I joined him (with others) and put the audio on English. Perfect solution! I love hearing the speakers voices, and was sooo thankful for the opportunity to listen in English so that I could fully understand.

I also loved the talk by Elder Bednar about the Spirit. As I think of experiences with the Spirit in the past few months, most of them are small, simple moments. It is almost tempting to say that these were just coincidences or my own thoughts, etc... but truly this is the beauty in how the Spirit works- a still whisper.

For example, Saturday two weeks ago, we had only 10 minutes before we normally go back to our apt in the night. We were right by our house, and I had no idea what to do for just 10 minutes. But, I felt a gentle push to not go back to our street. We started walking toward the house of a girl we had taught once. As we walked in this direction, I saw a woman entering into her apartment. I felt that we needed to talk to her. So we did! I thought she was a lady Hna Rosas and I taught once and she, Gladys, also thought we were the same missionaries who had taught her a year before. (Turns out we were both mistaken, but this mistake was key in our trust in each other). Gladys told us of her problems with her spouse and we invited her to church the next morning. Surprisingly, she was up and waiting for us when we passed her apartment for church. Truly the Spirit guides us in this work. Gladys, her husband, and her neighbor all are planning to be baptized in just another week. The Lord blesses us for obedience.

I was also touched in conference by the mention of angels. As I think of my setting apart with President Call and our family, I think of the scripture in Doctrine & Covenants 84:88 that says His angels will be around me. This is the truth. I can feel it. Often these angels are the mortals- my companions, church members, and investigators. I have also felt that at times, there are angels strengthening, comforting, encouraging, and guiding me in this grand work of God.

OoO! Last night there was a huge thunder and lightning storm. Drenched us through, but Hermana Falls and I were gleefully skipping in the flooded streets.
I wondered if you were eating German pancakes yesterday! :) YUM!

Love,
Hermana Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment