Monday, April 18, 2011

A New Companion and A Convert


Hola Familia!

Loved your letters. I'm sorry to hear that the Mariners stink. haha. This made me laugh. I need to find out if people here know what baseball is. I have not ever seen a baseball here. Mainly soccer and basketball.

I am so excited for my oldest sibling to GRADUATE!!!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!! What a wonderful accomplishment. She always sets a high standard and example for the rest of us to follow. I am glad she was born first. :)
This week we had transfers. I am guessing you will be nearly surprised as I was. My companion, Hermana Falls transferred to another area in Guayaquil and I got a new companion. Once again, let's put the emphasis on NEW. Hermana Reyes from Honduras! She is fresh from the Peru MTC-- only 15 days there and now she is in the field with me. Hermana Reyes is super cute and has a lot of excitement for the work. I will miss Hermana Falls! I felt like we were just getting to know each other, but there is a chance we will serve together again. Changes are a bit exhausting but are also exciting. I am still in the same ward that I started in-- this will be my 4th change here.

Saturday Hermana Narea was baptized! She is such a tender hearted lady. Quiet spoken and gentle. I loved her descriptions of how she felt when she was baptized. She said, ¨I don't have words for it. I just feel clean and happy.¨ This touched me because the gospel of Jesus Christ is simple. For some, the gospel can be a dramatic change. For others, it is more of a natural, bit by bit change. What I know is that all need the gospel! Who does not want to have that fresh out of the shower feeling everyday? And in Ecuador, this clean feeling is treasured even more than in other places.

I am happy and busy. There you have it. The work is going well. I was reading this morning in Luke 2 about the childhood of Christ. The first 12 years of Christ's life are summed up in one verse....something like, and the child grew and waxed strong in spirit. The next 18 years of His life are summed up in another verse that says something like, He learned wisdom and grew in favor with God and man. I wish I could remember the verses better....you can look it up. I thought though, I would like my mission to be summed up in one verse as well, ¨Hermana Garlock served the Lord with all her heart, might, mind, and strength.¨ Christ is my example and He truly directs His work.

Well, we are off to search for shoes for my companion...she has high heels. Yeah, not going to work too great here. :)
I can't believe my little sibling is driving!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Aren't our parents some of the most patient people there are? I really had no idea how patient until I learned to drive. haha.

The gospel is true! Thank you for your examples and love.
Hermana Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment