Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring, Sun and Service


Hola!

Wow, it sounds like Spring Break was a fabulous time.  :) I am so glad that we live in such a beautiful part of the world. Your trip reminds me of the Family: A Proclamation to the World, which says that strong families are also based on wholesome recreation time. I can see in our family how true that is. I love spending time with each one of you and getting to know you better. There is always more to learn about each of you and your dynamic personalities! I love each one of you.
 
 I am still pretty white. Don't ask me how, but I think I am the whitest person in my district and possibly in my zone. haha. But for me, I'm doing good.
 
Thank you for your words of wisdom, and the be wise. Have you been reading in the Book of Mormon by chance? It sounds like the prophets in the Book of Mormon!!!! It is one of the very BEST places to find counsel.
 
We are eating really well here. When we don't have a mamita, I cook up some creative dish. haha It's quite fun.

This week I realized that no matter how much I give, I am always receiving more. This week we ¨served¨ Marta, one of our investigators. My companion ironed shirts and I helped her cook. First off, cooking lessons should not count as service for me. I am thrilled any time I get to see even a portion of how they whip up soups, creams, etc. Although a member of the ward was going to cook for us, Marta served us heaping portions for lunch. Some service! Then she proceeded to give us these cute boxes and gift bags in which we can keep our things. She sells these and so this was a sacrifice for her to so freely and gleefully give us these boxes. In the same day, the Family Coello gave us pens and Gladys gave us three large mangos straight from the Ecuador fields. These are temporal, physical gifts.

More than these types of gifts, I am grateful for the spiritual blessings I receive as I serve. I am learning so much from these people about what it means to be humble. I am amazed by their examples of faith and courage. The Lord truly blesses me in His work.
 
My testimony of the perfect plan of Heavenly Father is strengthened as I share it. I know this will be a foundation for the rest of my life. Likewise, it is a privilege to learn Spanish in order to share the gospel. No matter how much I give, Heavenly Father blesses me with more. I understand a little bit more the phrase in the scriptures that says even if we labor all our days, we will still be unprofitable servants.

I am thankful for the guidance of the Spirit as we seek those who are ready and waiting. I loved what you shared about acting in the moment we feel the promptings. This is so true! I often have to turn around and walk back to talk to someone as I realized that I had shrugged off the quiet whispering of the Spirit. It is a lifelong process to receive, recognize, and act on the promptings.

I love you! I am doing well-- healthy and happy! I have now been in the same ward for 4 months and it feels like home. I know almost every member (active and many inactive) by name and they are a huge support!

Have a fantastic week back at school and work! With faith, even the mundane activities can be turned into joyful occasions.

Love,
Hermana Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment