Friday, March 11, 2011

Changes & Reunions


Dearest precious friends and family,
This letter is packed full of....CHANGES.
1- One by one our three baptisms fell through! Where to begin? Let me just say that I still have very high hopes for the baptisms in another week or so. :) First we found out Dayanna is a ward baptism because she is still 8 years old for another month and her mom is a member--although inactive for years. So we turned that one over to the ward to carry through.

Antonio has another interview with President Montalti- hopefully this week. I am hoping he is able to baptized!! I really enjoy teaching him.
Possibly the most heartbreaking of the baptisms was Olga. I am going to introduce Grandma Margaret to her in the next life. They will be friends and paint their nails together. :) Olga was in the water, but was really afraid of the water and of bending down and such. She is 82 years old and is really fragile. We watched, coaxed, and sang all in an attempt to calm her nerves. BUT the good news is that our ward mission leader is a taller bigger man and with his strength, I believe she will be able to be dunked! Hermana Rosas and I felt awful about the experience for Olga. I am learning a lot about the importance of being extra thoughtful and planning really well. I believe Olga will be baptized this Saturday. :)
  Olga ... almost bapized!
2- Hermana Rosas goes home to Costa Rica tomorrow!!!! My dear Hermana is a bit stressed with all of the changes in her life...We are praying and praying and praying her family will accept the gospel when she
goes to her home. I have learned a lot from Hermana Rosas. She taught me how to talk to anyone and everyone and to serve them at the same time! She is a lovely person and I will miss her. I know we will
always be friends because we shared such sacred moments together, teaching and watching Gio, Karina, Narciso, and Patricia make baptismal covenants. We are united through sharing these special experiences!

3- With the change of Hermana Rosas, comes a new companion. Emphasis on the new. I will be training Hermana Falls! She comes tomorrow from the MTC and I believe she is from the U.S. I am in a state of shock about it, but really excited as well!!!! I have a really hopeful, peaceful feeling that this is going to be a wonderful companionship. I found out last night. We will be in the same sector where I have been the past two changes. A blessing because I know the members, streets, etc. and feel at home here.

It is neat because I fasted and prayed yesterday for my Spanish to improve so that the people will understand me and that I will understand them so that the work of the Lord can go forward. I prayed that I would have an increase of opportunities to learn more Spanish and I believe this is in part an answer to that prayer. I do not know how well Hermana Falls speaks Spanish, but I am going to put all my faith and efforts in the Lord and He will help me fulfill this calling. I have confidence that this change is His will, so I will be strengthened.

4. This week feels like a dream-- I am not sure it is real....Hermana Rosas goes home, I am going to train a new missionary, and HERMANA SALMON is coming to live in my apartment!!! Tonight! AHHH I will be
reunited with my dear friend. Oh how I have missed that girl. Hermana Barker, Hermana Marena and Hermana Salmon will be in a trio in our apt until Hermana Salmon is trained as the mission nurse by Hna Barker. Hna Marena is a wonderful wonderful missionary-- she is from Honduras and has one transfer here. I am excited to live with these delightful Hermanas! I really feel so blessed to get to live with these Hermanas who are my friends and sisters away from home.

All the Hermanas who are going home/getting new companions are in our apartment for two days. It is a little crazy--there are 11 of us--but it is really fun to get to know more hermanas!

Remember Mom how you told me to just think of myself on my mission camping? Someday I will tell you how right on you are about that. That thought helps me all the time...Every day feels a little like Ephrata! :)

People ask me all the time what is normal to eat in the US and I don{t know what to tell them! We eat such a delicious variety in our house. You{re a fabulous cook.
I am so thankful that our family is an eternal family. It makes me so happy to know that our relationships are not only for here and now but forever. I cherish this thought because it gives me great purpose and understanding. I know this gospel of Jesus Christ is the true gospel. We are so blessed to live in this day when we have the fullness of it. What a joyous gospel it is!

I love you!
Hermana Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment