Monday, February 28, 2011

Baptisms!

Hola hola hola!
In the mornings, I sometimes go with Hna Rosas to the church parking lot, which really is not a parking lot because the vast majority of people do not have cars here and almost everyone walks to church. Any ways, this parking lot is a multi purposed cement area for basketball/football/scout activities/running! Hermana Rosas and I have talked about organizing a basketball game for our investigators and converts. Currently though our investigators and converts are mainly people over the age of 70 or people who have physical limitations so we postponed the basketball activity. haha.

This week has been an adventure! Twice this week, I went with the mission nurse, Hermana Barker to her sector called the Penas (which is just about 20 minutes from our house). The Penas are suuuuper chevre
(awesome, cool, sweet). Remember the picture I sent from the Peru CCM where there are a bunch of colorful lego-like houses on a hill? Imagine this picture and the Penas is just like that. It is absolutely magical. It is like a whole different world with people living in these little houses stacked on top of each other. As we walked around the twisting corners and cobbly ground, it reminded me of Greece from the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. At the top of the hill, you can see all of Guayaquil and the river! It is absolutely beautiful with the lights and barges on the river. I had no idea how beautiful Ecuador was until this week. From what I hear from Hermana Salmon and other missionaries, other sectors are absolutely gorgeous with
mountains and lots of greenery so I have a lot to look forward to in the upcoming transfers.

As I get to know the people and culture, I realize what a blessing it is to be serving among these people. They have huge hearts and are full of love and emotion. I think Grandpa`s teaching would go over really well here. The communication here involves a lot more facial expressions, hand waving, and sounds. The Spanish language often sounds musical. Sometimes when I am tired of listening to the words to understand the meaning, I just listen to the general sounds and it is like music!

We had Stake Conference this Sunday and I was touched as we sang, "God Be With You Till We Meet Again." I am convinced some of the hymns were meant for the Spanish language because they are beautiful. I am happy to be serving among these people who have such great desires. The church feels relatively new here and at times, I feel the weight of all that needs to be done in this work! I especially pray that my converts Gio, Karina, Narciso, and Patricia will be firm in the gospel and continue to build the work here. It is a huge blessing to not have worldly cares here--I don`t worry about money, work, what I am going to do this weekend, homework, dating, etc. With the lack of these worldly cares, comes the realization of the eternal matters. That what I am doing here in Ecuador has eternal implication not only for my life, but for other peoples lives. The work of a missionary, just as the work of parenthood, has long lasting eternal effects. I pray to have the health, faith, worthiness, and courage necessary to do this work in the way of the Lord Jesus Christ. Thank you for your prayers as well--they strengthen and lift me!!!

We are planning to have three baptisms this weekend! MIRACLES ALL AROUND! PARTY IN THE HOUSE! The Mom of Dayanna signed the permission for 8 yr old Dayanna to be baptized. We prayed and prayed and our prayers were answered! Antonio, who claims he is 105 years old, came to the stake conference! His greatest challenge is attending church in his age, but now he will be baptized Sunday
afternoon as long as he comes to church again Sunday! I love teaching him. He is super happy and whistles at these tropical birds he has in his house. Olga will also be baptized Saturday! Woot woot!!!

Thank you for sending love for my companion Hermana Rosas! She goes home a week from tomorrow. Ahhhhhh locisimo. She has been a wonderful companion. I told her what you said and she is melting with happiness.

Your words uplift me...It reminds me of Moroni 8:1-3 when Mormon wrote a letter to his son. I just finished the Book of Mormon today! I know this book is true and I am grateful for the guidance. Truly when we read this book everyday, we will never go off the path that leads us to our eternal home. I testify the Book of Mormon is the iron rod. I feel it was written for me as a missionary! The words are comfort and counsel from Heavenly Father and become so personal as I read and apply it to myself, members, investigators. It is a treasure, treasure, treasure.

I love you!!!!

Hermanita Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment