Monday, February 21, 2011

The bugs love me! The babies...not so much!


Hola mi Familia!

This week fleeeeeeeew by! Saturday was the baptism of Hermana Lopez! It was a wonderful service and I am so happy that Hermana Lopez was able to be baptized. She is a very caring, loving person and is already friends with Hermana Espinoza who was baptized a month ago. The neighbor of Hermana Lopez is going to be baptized in another week and half and we are so excited for this. The neighbor, Olga, is 82 years old and is a delight to teach. Sidenote: in Spanish, to say something is small, to show affection, or to soften what you are saying, you add -ito or -ita to the end of the word. So, when we talk to Olga, we call her Olgita!!! The first time Hna Rosas called her Olgita, I almost died laughing.
The Spanish language is simply beautiful. Any ways, our precious Olgita is so receptive and eager to learn God´s plan for her. It is a joyous thing to share the gospel with those who anxiously accept it. Olgita has waited a long 82 years to hear about the good news of the restored gospel. Thankfully, her mind is clear and her spirit is sensitive. She understands the principles quickly. I only wonder, how it is possible she and others did not find it before? As the scriptures say, there are many who are kept from the truth only because they know not where to find it. I love reading the scriptures and seeing how the Lord´s prophecies and promises are being fulfilled.

On a funny notes:
1. I´m not sure what is up here but this week every time a baby saw Hermana Rosas and I, they broke forth into hysterical tears!!! It prevented us from teaching a couple of people we were contacting.... haha....There is a purpose in all things I am convinced.
2. We sing "In Our Lovely Deseret" every time we teach The Word of Wisdom. Ahhhh, who can avoid smiling while singing this song? I challenge you to try it...Tea and coffee we don´t drink, little meat we eat... or something like this. I can´t remember the words in English, but I love singing it.

3. Another hymn that is a hit here is Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd. I hope you will sing this and think of me. Most people here don´t know the tune super well, but when it comes to the chorus, everyone belts it. When we meet inactive members of the church and ask them if they remember a hymn or have a favorite, this hymn is most often cited.

4. The people love the DVD's of the church. What I really should say is videos that have been converted to DVDs. I had to stop myself from laughing yesterday in RS when we watched one about the church welfare program that was ages old. We watch the church DVDs all the time here--Sunday school, lessons, RS, baptisms, etc. I am convinced Hermana Rosas knows all the church DVDs there are.

My companion says to tell you hi and we get along great. hahah. We definitely see things differently at times, but this is good for me to learn how to talk things through. She´s like another sister. I introduced her to almonds and she eats them with everything! She will pull out her almonds and put them on whatever we are eating.
My sectore is really small. We almost always walk in our sector-- only if we are bringing an older person to church do we take a taxi.

I don´t know what the deal is, but the bugs here love me. I think the bugs in our apartment are fattening up.

OH! I almost forgot to tell you! I gave a 15 minute talk yesterday in church!!! It was on hearing the Spirit. It was definitely interesting because I could tell that the Spirit was helping me communicate during the talk so that the members and could at least feel the Spirit and understand parts of what I was saying. haha. Truly it was a blessing to give a talk in this ward. I feel my love grow for these people more and more and more and...more. I am thankful my Bishop had confidence that I could speak.

I love you and am so thankful for your support! I cannot tell you how much strength I feel from each of your examples and testimonies. They really build me up. 
Hermana Garlock

p.s. fyi the mumu lives on...it's taking the mission quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment