Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Angels Among Us

Well Hello There!
 
When we apply the scriptures, the Spirit can teach us for our specific needs. This is what I strive to do in every lesson. Sometimes we succeed more than other times in our efforts to teach individuals and not just lessons. I can tell when the Spirit is teaching when new ideas come as we are teaching, the spanish flows easily, or when I learn as well. These are the best because we leave the lesson practically bouncing down the street.
 
We are trying to figure out how to teach little children the scriptures! When the kids are running around or distracted or hitting each other, we wonder more if the PARENTS are even able to learn. But I believe the answer is yes. When I believe the answer is no, is when I look to Hermana Lara and say HEEEEEELP! One useful tactic is to bring an apple with us. The kids love apples. Many kids just eat the fruits that grow on the trees around their houses (papayas, bananas, plumarosa, almendras, etc). Apples on the other hand are bought in the grocery store. So, four gleeful children share an apple- one bite at a time. You would not believe how many scriptures talk about repentance and becoming as a child. I have found many and know there is much to learn from these loving children.
 
Yesterday during Sacrament Meeting, Andrea came and sat by me. She is nine years old and was baptized about a month ago. She squeezed herself onto the bench and immediately took my hand in hers. I am touched by the love of the children. When I was feeling a little stressed about the investigators at church, baptisms, etc, the Lord sent me Andrea as a tender mercy. She reminded me of Christ`s love for me-steady, constant, forgiving. She gave me hope to press on with the hope in Christ as my solid anchor. I am oftened reminded in moments like this of the scripture I chose for my missionary plaque, which says the Lord will go before my face and His angels will be on my right and left hand. All of the Lord`s promises are sure. I am blessed to feel this often. It seems the angels in my mission have been my companions, little children, and various others who have said JUST what I needed to hear in the right moment. An angel is someone who does the direct bidding of the Lord.
 
I would like to be this kind of servant of the Lord. A true servant- quick to fulfill the Master`s request. Many times, I feel like I am being served- with such love and blessings from the members, converts, investigators. I am humbled by the offerings of so many and grateful for the examples in my life. Hermana Ruth for filling in for another mamita when she was not home, another member- Alberto for accompanying us for 5 hours this week, Edmundo for always having papaya or squash or coconut or banana or etc! cut up and ready to give us.
 
Thank you for your support for me during my mission.  
love,
 
Hermana Garlock
 

No comments:

Post a Comment