Monday, May 2, 2011

Nina, Momacita, and Abuelita

Querido Familia,

I had an experience this week that reminded me of how wonderful mothers are.
We ate lunch with three little boys under the age of 5. Wow. Sister Arreaga really has it together....I have no idea how moms do it!!! All through lunch the boys were throwing food, laughing, and running around. I have no idea how Sister Arreaga even made the rice and beans with these energetic boys. haha....Anyways, it gave me a new appreciation for moms and a new appreciation for this special time of my life as a missionary. Of course, I look forward to the day when I will be a mom, but for now I am happy to be a missionary.

Marcelo, Sami, and their nine year old daughter Marcelita  were baptized Saturday! It was a wonderful experience, and at the end of the baptism Marcelita said that when she was baptized she felt like Jesus Christ was at her side. The remarkable part is that He was! When we are baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, it is by the power and authority of Jesus Christ. I know the effects of His power are real!
This week was a whirlwind with whether this Family was going to get baptized or not, but they overcame their doubts and went forward in faith. It strengthened my testimony as well. Marcelo listened to the missionaries when he was 19 years old, but worked Sundays so never went to church. When we contacted them, Marcelo told us to come every day because he had been waiting for about 20 years to finally find the truth. How neat is that.

I love the people here. It is truly in our relationships with people that we find joy and satisfaction. I have observed here an interesting difference in culture. The people here call people what they are--- for example, we are teaching a 60 year old woman, Nancy Billon. She calls me NiƱa. At first when people called me nina, I though it was demeaning, but now I really enjoy it. To Nancy, this is who I am, a child! And it is appropriate for me to call her abuelita- or grandma if I would like. Gladys Jubile calls her husband Gordo (fat). Really, this is equivalent to calling him Amor, which she likewise calls him. Gordito or gordo is a very common term of affection here. How funny is this! I believe in the US this would be offensive, but here it is normal and accepted! LOVE IT.

Also, voting here is mandatory. Everyone is assigned a different place to vote and then you have to go to that place to vote. For many people it is in their home town so people have to travel. If you don´t go, you get fined! I am not sure how much, I asked and someone told me $70. The Coello family is going to vote, they will get a paper for voting and this paper is needed to get married. Then they can get married and get baptized!!!! Woo hooo!!!! May 7th is a wonderful day. Thank heavens people have to vote here.

I shared my testimony this week in testimony meeting. I felt a powerful witness of the beauty of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I am so thankful that He has made it possible for us to return to our loving Heavenly Father. For this reason, I share the gospel every day! I love you each so much! I pray for you and think of you and draw strength from your examples.

Love,
Hermana Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment