Monday, May 16, 2011

Marriage, Meat, and Maturity

Hola!
This week went by super fast.....What is new to report?
I was trying to notice today the things in Ecuador that are so normal that I do not realize that they are unusual or different if you were not from here. For example, there are meat shops on the corners with huge sides of cows, lamb feet and pigs hanging, exposed to the air, heat, bugs. Also, in people´s houses they likewise have parts of red meat hanging. All I can say is it is a good thing that I am not sensitive to things like this anymore...Probably the 10 year old me would faint at the sight and smell of all this. Oh I LOVE Ecuador.
We had a special experience this week as we taught Gladys and Felipe. I think I have mentioned them before. They are a lovely couple. They are working through some difficult things in their marriage. I was touched as they expressed gratitude for the gospel, for this guide in their lives. They have found renewed hope for their marriage and a sense of confidence in their ability to change. There is a great joy in sharing with this couple! They want to serve a couple mission together and I can just picture them doing this.

Maybe the reason I needed to take marriage prep BEFORE my mission was so that I could have a basic knowledge of how to help people in the marriages here. Definitely the answers are in the scriptures and the Spirit can teach us all we need to know, but I have applied a few of the principles of this class to the various couples we are and have taught. Ahhh I am just waiting on pins and needles to find out what happened today when Roberto and Mariana Coello went to the registro civil--where they are going to get married. They are trying to get all their papers in order so they can get married and baptized!!!!

Thank you soooo much for your prayers for my success and safety. I truly feel them and know that I am being protected as a missionary!
Dayanna, Our precious nina is baptized!
People tell me that in Guayaquil it gets cold in July and August....I want someone to define cold. I am thinking cold must be 75 degrees, but I will take it! haha.

Have a fabulous week! The gospel of Jesus Christ is so full of hope and happiness that I can´t help but burst with these feelings as I am sharing it.

Love,
Hermana Garlock



No comments:

Post a Comment