Monday, January 24, 2011

Valentine's Day in Ecuador????

Dear Familia,  Amigas and Amigos,
A Valentines Day package?!!!No way!!! THANK YOU!!!!   I'm going to be honest and tell you I had completely forgotten Valentine's day exists. I wonder if they celebrate it here. I will have to ask. Ohhhhhh what love fills my heart for each of you in this very moment.
 
Thank you for the update about Hermana Val, she is in my prayers and so are each of you. I am thankful for the perspective freely offered through the Plan of Salvation. The challenge is to have faith, hope, and confidence in these promises. My faith in this Plan of Happiness is being fortified. Oh I how I know of Heavenly Father´s love for us through this merciful plan which makes it possible for us to be reunited with our family perfectly for forever.

SURPRISE BAPTISM this week!!! How to explain... Hermana Karina. She lives with her mom and two kids. Karina is mentally slower and is like a young child-maybe 12 years old...I don{t know. When we first met Karina, we mainly focused our teaching on her mom, Tomara, and her 11 year old daughter Nicole. We left them with the BOM and in our next visit when we returned, they had not read in the BOM. The mom, Tomara, had no desire to keep learning or listening, so she left the house to talk to her neighbor. Nicole goes to a different church with all of her friends and likewise outright said she would not read the BOM. I told Nicole that if she was not going to read the BOM, could we please take the book and give it to someone who would read it. She quickly ran and got the book. My companion, in her wisdom and love, was talking to Karina during all this. She realized that Karina understood all we talked about and wanted to keep learning. Unfortunately, Karina cannot read in order to read The Book of Mormon. So, I told Nicole if she would read to Karina, I would bring her cookies. (I know.....aren´t these good habits for parenting in the future? Threats to give the BOM to another family...bribery....) And so, in just under two weeks time, Karina learned about the gospel and was baptized after church yesterday. The best part is how happy Karina was. I doubt that her family has ever seen her happier. She was just beaming. Nicole and Tomara´s hearts have definitely been softened and they are very supportive of Karina. We are excited to see all that will happen with Nicole and Tomara. It may take some time but now Karina is such a powerful example in their home.

Also, guess who baptized Karina?! GIOOOOO!!! This was precious. Yes... He may have had to repeat the words 4 times to say the correct words and it took three attempts for Karina to be baptized by immersion, BUT Gio holds the Priesthood of God. And how beautiful it was to watch him use this power and authority to bless one of Heavenly Father´s dear children.

Thank you for your letters! Time flies. I may be transferred tonight...So I may be in a new area next week! We will see.  Five new Hermanas come this week and 5 left and there are about only 20 here in total. Thank you for your examples. Thank you for your love and assistance !!
Love,
Hermana Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment