Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Happy Anniversary!


Mis Padres and toda familia!

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! How exciting it is to celebrate 26 years. Holy cow. That's more than my life and more than your single lives. Wow. Someday it will be more than the years you spent single
combined- 24 and 24?
 
What great faith you demonstrate in your marriage. Marriage is probably the greatest act of faith and our family has been richly blessed due to your temple marriage. Thank you for being wonderful examples of love- love for each other and love for your children. It was so good to hear about your trip to Cannon Beach. It sounds like you had a delightful time and it made me happy to think of you walking on the beach and talking about your kids.
 
Guess what else was celebrated this weekend? Guillermo's eternal salvation!!!!!!!!!!!! WOoooo hoo (In the most reverent missionary woo hoo way). Gio was baptized Saturday and this was the most special day yet of my time here in Ecuador. I cannot begin to express how satisfying it was to watch this baptism and to be a witness of the power of Jesus Christ. I was amazed as I realized that the young man performing the ordinance truly holds the power to act in the name of Christ. He received the gift of the Holy Ghost Sunday from the Bishop. I listened as carefully as I could so that I could understand as much of the blessing as possible. Gio is a witness to me that the power of Jesus Christ is not limited. What I mean is that the healing effects of the Atonement of Jesus Christ extends to all of our needs, sins, and suffering. Miracles truly occur through faith in His name. Gio was baptized and confirmed and oh what joy this brings to my heart. In just three weeks, we taught him the principles of the gospel and the Spirit taught him it was true! AHHHH!!! IS ANYONE ELSE EXCITED ABOUT THIS?! It is amazing to me.

Ok now I have to share just a little something. I remember before my mission thinking that it was a little bit zealous of missionaries to want to baptize someone within a month. I thought that the people needed more time to learn and to really be committed, etc.... I have had a change of heart! In 3 Nephi 11 when Christ comes to visit the people in the Americas, the first thing Christ does is He has the people touch His hands and side as a witness that He is the Savior of mankind. Then the very next thing He does is teach His doctrine. The doctrine of baptism! Starting with Nephi, Christ gives certain people the power to baptize (signifying that the authority to baptize is essential), then teaches the way to baptize by immersion in His name, and invites all to come unto Him to repent and be baptized in this manner. As a representative of the Savior Jesus Christ, I must act as He would.
 
Yesterday, we searched for a couple of past investigators from months ago. We visited with them and asked them if they had any questions for us. The mother, Jeanette, asked why the missionaries wanted to baptize her after only visited a couple of times. In essence, why was baptism our motive? My companion explained our purpose and I shared this scripture with her and we testified of the blessings of baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. At the end of our time with her, we asked them to be baptized the 29th of January. AND GUESS WHAT? Jeanette and her daughter said, YES! When we follow the example of Christ, more good comes than we could ever do in any other pathway.

My fire for missionary work is gradually building. And I was thinking about something....Mom and Dad you feed the missionaries in hope that someone will be taking care of Nate and I in our missions. My thought
is, what if you also had the missionaries teach your friends?! Then would Nate and I have more people to teach! I think it could work. I don´t know about Nate, but I eat really well. So I think it could work. Just a thought.

I am thankful to be a missionary and to be here in Ecuador. It is different than I expected in many ways, but this is good for me. It reminds me that the Lord has a plan for me and it is the best plan. His way is the only way I will truly be happy. And certainly, I want true happiness!

Thank you for the many Christmas cards I received this week!!!! I LOVED THEM!
 
Have a fabulous week!
I love you!

Hermana Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment