Wednesday, November 10, 2010


This week has been something else! Everything is so new and yet so fabulous. The Peru MTC is sooo different from Provo. Because the MTC is small, we actually know the mission president. President Whetten
and his wife are wonderful. They run a tight ship here but I´m pretty sure it is because we would have way too much fun otherwise. Time here is very structured. Everything is much more structured. For example,
there are two sisters called to be coordinating sisters for the sisters. (Make sense?) In Provo, this meant they would check on us and see how we were doing and let the branch presidency know if we needed anything. Here, this means that the Latino coordinating sister walks around with her alarm clock in her hand, frown on her face, and says, "Quiet Time". The first night Hna Salmon and I did not realize this meant we could not go to the bathroom. We quickly found out we needed to be in our rooms QUIET by 10:15 pm. It was actually quite comical and I have made it my personal goal to warm up the heart of this Latino sister.

I had another experience this week that was so funny, I could not handle it. We went outside to exercise and lo and behold, there was a fitness instructor. He was a short, tough looking Peruvian. We spent gym time jumping over benches, doing push ups, squats, and lunges. My ab workout was primarily laughter. Turns out every Monday we have drill sergeant time. I look forward to next Monday.

On a different note, my teachers are from Peru and they served their missions in South America...Hence, they do not speak very much English. Hna Flores speaks hardly any and Hno Morales speaks a good
amount. They are excellent teachers and I love them. It is easy to learn from them- they are so clear and understand their language well. For many reasons, it is a huge blessing to be here. My Spanish has
improved immensely since being here. Most of class time is just with North Americans and our companions are in another district for class time. We do the majority of teaching with our Latino companions and
spend mealtimes, etc with them. In class, we are mostly learning Spanish applied to the gospel. Yesterday in class, it was my turn to stand up and tell about the Elder I had asked questions to...I ended
up saying something like, "His mother is his mother." This is a humbling experience overall....I don´t always sound very intelligent!  But I do sound funny, and people usually like this and so, I am certain there will be people willing to listen to me in Ecuador even if I do not say everything perfectly.

My Spanish is better than I would have thought possible. It is truly because the Spirit teaches
me all the time. I now understand how there is more to communicating than just words. The first day here the Mission President´s wife, Hna Whetton, said, "You will learn that here we touch. This is a culture
where touch is very important." This is true! The hermanas greet each other by touching cheek and blowing kisses in the air. I love this.  Hna Catu is a wonderful companion--she is so patient and will use actions to explain things often.

The other day I was trying to ask her if she wanted to study inside or outside. She said in a knowing voice, "Si, Hermana, si" which is what I always say when I have no idea what she just said. We both laughed
about this. I have started using huge facial expressions and hand gestures while talking--I think it is helpful...It produces a lot of laughter, which is a good thing. I have also started a trend. I gave Hna Catu a "high 5" and some of the elders saw me do this. Now we give each other "chacolas!" or something like that all the time. Chacola is the word for high 5 I think---it´s what everyone says when they do it.  At breakfast the other morning, I learned another funny word-- "chipi-chipi" This is the word they use in Nicaragua for rain. It is best said in a higher pitch with a serious face.

Meal times are very interesting. I try something new and learn new words everyday. There is rice at breakfast and dinner! I do not eat it both times, but I´m pretty sure I eat it everyday. I think I have tried potatoes in every form the Peruvians can imagine. Thank heavens I like potatoes. There is fresh squeezed juice at every meal, but usually we have no idea what fruit it comes from. It is usually very exotic tasting. We can recognize the apple, watermelon, and cantaloupe juices. The other Hnas do not like the papaya juice, so I have not tried it yet, but I am sure I will. Something very odd is happening...One day I will say, "I would love to have____________" and then the next day we have that item. It has happened with zucchini, beans, and bananas. My companions want me to wish for chocolate cake.  We will see....I do not dare to wish for peanut butter because I don´t think it will happen. But I have learned the Spanish words for your
wish is my command so I can say this when someone wishes for an item of food. :)

For my mother, Annie, and any others interested, I would like to give the bug update. Thus far, I have only seen one odd looking bug. It was a fairly small bluish black beetle. The beetle was located in the classroom which was of slight concern, but the fact that it was not a spider was extremely comforting. I will keep you posted on any abnormal bugs. No spiders yet. Thank heavens!

I love being here. I cannot imagine doing anything more worthwhile right now than serving a mission. I think of Grandpa M. often as I am learning how to be a better teacher. I appreciate Grandpa so much
more now because he is so good about asking questions to get to the heart of things. This is a huge focus for me--getting to know the hearts of the people I will teach. We all have problems, needs, and questions and the gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone. One of the keys to successful missionary work then is to discover the needs of the people and apply the teachings of Christ to their lives so that they can be blessed by the glorious truths of the gospel. The gospel blesses my life and my relationships with all of my friends and
family.

Thank heavens I am here in the Peru MTC. This is a perfect middle spot between Provo and Ecuador. Hna Salmon and are close friends now and when I talk to her I feel just right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment