Friday, October 29, 2010

A Bed Fairy in the MTC?

Hola Familia!
 
Well it has been an eventful week! I love the MTC. Still. I don't think that is going to change. Especially since I only have another couple of weeks here. We got our travel plans for the Peru MTC. We leave Nov 3rd in the morning and stop once in Georgia for a short layover and then it's straight to Peru. I'm not sure how much I should tell you about the MTC or if I should just wait to see what it's really like. I have heard some interesting things.... The most interesting being that this summer there was a lice outbreak and the Elders had to shave their heads. I'm almost postive the sisters did not have to shave their heads, but then again I haven't heard so no guarentees!
 
I have actually heard really good things-- it is a small MTC about 100 missionaries. There are 14 missionaries going to Ecuador and we are all going to the Peru MTC.  At the MTC, we will get to contact with the people there. This will be amazing-- we will get to actual share the gospel with people.
 
Speaking of sharing the gospel with people, Hna Salmon and I have our first teaching appt on Monday in the Teaching Resource Center. So a woman from the community who is LDS volunteered to come in and act as an investigator and we get to know her and teach. The first 15 minutes of the lesson were in Spanish and it was all just getting to know you. I know...you're probably very impressed we could carry on conversations for 15 minutes. Don't be too impressed- there were plenty of pauses. It went well, except for when I accidently asked if she had a wife. OOPS! I meant to ask if she has a husband. I was just a little confused. And so was she. :) But she said she would read the Book of Mormon so she must not have been toooo offended.
 
Tuesday nights are devotionals and this week the apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson spoke!!! This was WONDERFUL!!! We had no idea he was coming but when he walked in, we were singing Prelude and all of a sudden everyone started singer louder. It was very powerful. His wife Sister Wendy Nelson came also and she spoke. They actually only spoke for about 35 minutes. It was fabulous. Elder Nelson began the fireside by telling us how much he and the Prophet and Apostles love the missionaries and our families! He ended the talk in the same way. He really expressed how much he loved our families. I was also very grateful for the promise he gave at the end of the talk. He invoked a blessing of health, safety, and protection. This was very reassuring to me.
 
Hna Salmon went to health training this week since she will be the mission nurse. And I am VERY convinced that the missionaries' health is a top priority. Guess what else we got in our packets when we first got to the MTC? A water filter!! Just like the one you had me bring mom. And that filter was made specifically for missionaries and now even the army uses it. It is so amazing that it will even take out caffeine from pop or safely filter the muddy water an elephant has stepped in. Pretty cool.
 
Sister Tanner (the past YW General President) came and spoke in RS this week. This was excellente. I learned a lot about the point of RS and how the sisters faith will bless the work of God. She said that RS was not intended to be a sewing club. Thank heavens!
 
I am having a wonderful time here. I wish I had more time to email you details...I will do my best.
 
Hna Salmon's and my favorite cookies are the sugar cookies. Delicious.
 
We also seem to have a bed fairy. It's actually me but maybe the other sisters haven't realized yet?! The beds are tricky to make so its a lot of work for the bed fairy, but she likes to do it.
 
Hna Salmon and I went to an Enhancement Class for sister missionaries. We actually did not know what this meant until we got there. Turns out it was our faces that would be enhanced. I will send pictures... Nothing too drastic. 
 
I love you! Thank you for your letters! 
Love,
 
Hma Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment